How are you doing?
The funny thing about this post is that the day I planned to write it out, I was having a lazy day and I did not end up typing it up. This leads me to my introduction. Some days your productivity level might just be on a zero and that’s okay. Tomorrow, you can try again. Sometimes it’s not as black and white as it seems. Because I am trying to keep this short and sweet, I will go ahead and share some of the things that works for me to get a task done.
1. POMODORO TECHNIQUE: This has got to be my number one tip. Here is an explanation from wikipedia – “The Pomodoro Technique is a time management method developed by Francesco Cirillo in the late 1980s. The technique uses a timer to break down work into intervals, traditionally 25 minutes in length, separated by short breaks. Each interval is known as a pomodoro, from the Italian word for ‘tomato’, after the tomato-shaped kitchen timer that Cirillo used as a university student.” (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique). You can modify this technique. Basically you set your timer for some minutes and don’t touch your phone. You then focus on the activity/task till the timer rings. This is my current hack. I am in fact using it to complete this post.
2. LEVERAGING ENERGY CYCLE: Energy cycles refer to your energy drives at various times during the day. You need to understand when and what powers your high energy self and what or when you are low on energy during the day. You may be a night owl or early riser because you are most productive at these times. However, energy cycles are not limited to time, they can also be influenced by environment created. In the past, I have probably defined myself as a night owl but I have come to realize that it is the quietness I like and this can be early morning or midday as long as it is very quiet I can focus on my task. In addition, plan to do the harder tasks when your energy level is high and less engaging tasks at your low energy times. That’s how you ride on the waves of your energy cycle.
3. A PLANNER/SCHEDULER: Otherwise known as a To-Do list. You might have heard the statement “What doesn’t get scheduled, doesn’t get done”. It might even be the notes on your phone that you write the tasks that you want to accomplish. I’d add that it doesn’t have to be only serious stuffs that make it to your planner. Tasks like cooking, going for ice-cream, who to call etc lol make it to my planner.
4. HAVE REST TIMES: After you have worked so hard, please rest. You need adequate rest to replenish yourself. Don’t just keep going without resting at all. Being productive includes having time to rest, relax and recuperate.
5. STAY AWAY FROM YOUR PHONE: You see that your phone, please leave it. Allow your phone be. Don’t reply the WhatsApp message or email. You can even silence your notifications. Don’t use your high energy cycles to be answering long casual phone calls. Personally, when I do this, I know I have played myself for the day. So I try to avoid calls in the morning.
6. PLAY DRESS UP: Dress like you are ready to work. I take a shower, apply powder and some mascara. Leave my bedroom and set up my work (which is my dining) table especially if I have to use my laptop. If you power through your tasks dressed in your pajamas and that works well for you, by all means continue.
At the end of the day, you keep tweaking things until you find what works for you.
Please share your productivity tips with me 😃
Enjoy the rest of your week.
p.s : I shared on how I set myself up to pray. Here is the link: https://bit.ly/33xJ0Ib